You may submit a job posting for this section of the ABLL website to Kim Martin at email@example.com. Submit a brief description of the job with a link to the full job description as text in an email, no Word documents, please. Law library positions in the greater Boston area will be posted. Please notify Kim when the position is filled so that the posting can be removed. Postings will be removed after three months. Job postings will be retained in a members-only section of the ABLL website, all business and personal names and contact information will be removed prior to retention.
Manager of Library Technologies & Electronic Services – Ropes & Gray
Lead and foster the efficient and effective delivery of Library resources in a fast-paced, global law firm. Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Knowledge Management and Library Services direct the Library’s methods of leveraging technology to deliver cost-effective, innovative and intuitive access to electronic and print materials. Develop, manage, and monitor multi-million dollar budget and negotiate contracts for online and print services globally. Manage all phases of the procurement of online and print services, including evaluation, trials, installation, implementation, and training plans. Set the policies and procedures for collection management, the operation and maintenance of the integrated library system, and access to external information in support of both client and firm needs. Ensure that the delivery of information to lawyers and others is consistent with KM and Library best practices, licensing, copyright and budgetary restrictions. Manage technical services staff and contribute substantively to firm-wide projects and initiatives.
- Oversee the organization-wide content acquisition strategy for research materials, both print and online. Negotiate enterprise level agreements on behalf of the firm for thousands of products supporting firm research and information needs. Monitor terms of contracts and license agreements to assure compliance.
- Forecast and manage annual global multi-million dollar library budget; monitor and control library expenditures firm wide; prepare budgetary reports for management. Oversee processing of vendor invoices and approvals for payment.
- Under the direction of the Senior Manager of KM & Library Services, develop and implement the strategic direction and roadmap for delivering online services to the firm.
- Manage all phases of the procurement of online and print services, including evaluation, trials, installation, implementation, rollout and training plans.
- Establish policies and procedures for collection management, electronic services, user access, and other functions within the technical and electronic services team. Advise on future library needs, including rebalancing the collection to better reflect digital access, physical space and personnel planning; oversee installation of new and renovated library facilities and manage moves.
- Manage technical services staff; prepare staffing plans in keeping with firm and department goals; supply metrics in support of plans. Provide training and support and prepare annual staff goals and monitor progress, including progressive intervention as needed. Plan and delegate projects for technical services staff, identify opportunities for professional development and continuing education for self and technical services staff.
- Oversee management of software applications within Library purview including precedent search tools. Conduct assessments for purchasing decisions, testing, rollout, training, and documentation. Serve as project manager for library software applications.
- Evaluate, select, and maintain the integrated library system; set data quality standards; create reports as needed for management of the library. Manage software updates in keeping with firm needs.
- Work with the firm’s practice groups and KM team to customize the delivery of content from commercial online services to the firm’s intranet.
- Oversee copyright and its proper application at the firm. Work with Copyright Clearance Center to ensure copyright policies are being followed and appropriate payments are being paid on behalf of the firm for any copyrightable material (digital and print). Educate lawyers and staff about their rights to use and share copyrighted material.
- Oversee reporting on metrics for circulation of print and access to online materials. Provide management with regular reports on resource utilization. Use this information to inform purchases, renewals, and cancelations, as well as for overall planning and staffing.
- Participate in developing, promoting, and attaining KM and Library team’s strategic goals. As needed, provide project staffing, either directly or by delegation, in support of other teams within the Knowledge Management and Information Technology Department. Foster cross-team collaboration and promote strong working relationships among library staff and colleagues working in the same or other offices. Recommend additions, improvements, and innovations in library services and resources.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- M.L.S. from ALA-accredited library school, or other relevant graduate degree required.
- Seven or more years of management experience in law or corporate libraries, preferably law firm libraries.
- Strong budget management and contract negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in law library collection management, budget management, management of integrated library systems, and research.
- Knowledge of information technology and best practices for training related to library and knowledge management systems.
- Experience creating insightful utilization reports for management.
- Strong supervisory experience and skills.
- Commitment to providing high-quality library service to a large group of demanding users in a fast-paced business environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills; willingness and ability to actively contribute to project teams as well as work alone.
- Ability to keep up with new materials, changes in resources and techniques, and shifts in information demands; resourcefulness in obtaining needed materials and information.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time well.
- Should be both creative and pragmatic; must display good judgment in decision-making and project management.
- Must be team-oriented and able to share information, goals, opportunities, successes and failures with the appropriate parties.
- Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out multiple related activities.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
- Ability to work in a multi-office environment.
Normal office environment. Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Flexibility for travel is a requirement for this position. The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Sr Manager, KM Transactional Technologies – Goodwin Procter
Make an impact at Goodwin, a global 50 law firm with a history of working on groundbreaking matters, and an increasingly focused approach to working with clients in the financial, private equity, real estate, technology and life sciences industries. Our more than 1,000 corporate and litigation attorneys leverage their specific experience and assemble full-service teams to advise clients in these and adjacent industries.
As the Sr. Manager, KM Transactional Technologies, you will be a member of one of the legal industry’s leading Knowledge Management groups, known for award-winning and innovative KM systems and approaches. Working closely with attorneys in the firm’s transactional practices, you will draw upon your experience and knowledge of transactional matters to support the use and adoption of KM technologies, including new and emerging legal technologies such as artificial-intelligence enabled contract review and proofreading solutions, document automation, extranets, and transaction management solutions. You will also work closely with members of the firm’s business intelligence and KM teams to support, design and develop existing and new data tools that maximize the firm’s experience and matter data.
What you’ll do:
- Consult with and advise lawyers, legal staff and clients regarding the most effective use of technology in a transactional matter (e.g. options for closing workflows, automating tasks, the use of AI-enabled technologies).
- Manage the testing, implementation, roll-out, adoption, use and maintenance of transactional practice technologies, including Contract Companion, Kira, Luminance, Contract Express, and new technology platforms as introduced.
- Participate in the evaluation and selection of new technologies; serving as primary point-of-contact with certain vendors.
- Coordinate with product vendors to manage updates, upgrades and other system changes and enhancements.
- Work with members of the KM Department to ensure that content in KM systems meets the needs of the firm.
- Participate in developing automated document templates and support ongoing implementation, roll-out, updating and use of automated templates in production.
- In collaboration with members of the KM and BI teams, participate in the development of data visualizations using Tableau, Excel and other data visualization programs as necessary.
- Conduct KM onboarding/orientation sessions for new legal personnel in the transactional practices.
Who you are:
- Juris Doctor required; technical or business degree considered with extensive practical experience in legal applications.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in a law firm, professional services firm or corporate environment.
- Understanding of typical transactional practice workflows and processes including due diligence review, matter/deal management, and closing process.
- Experience in implementation of various legal technology solutions, including automation tools and AI-enabled contract review tools.
- Passion for knowledge-sharing, efficiency and excellence in your work.
Location: Any Goodwin U.S. office.
Reports to the Director of Knowledge Management, Business Law
Patricia A. Johansen
Director, Knowledge Management (Business Law) & Counsel
Goodwin Procter LLP
100 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210
o +1 617 570 1730
f +1 617 649 1435
Assistant/Associate Librarian (Library Technical Services)
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is seeking an Assistant/Associate Librarian (Library Technical Services). The Assistant/Associate Librarian is responsible for overseeing the technical services operations of the Law Library, including acquisitions, metadata/cataloging, electronic resources management, processing, serials, and collection maintenance. This position works collaboratively with the university library and regional library consortiums; consults on collection development policies and decisions; serves on law library and university committees; and participates in discussions and decision-making regarding library programs, services, operations, facilities, and policies. The position will also participate in some public/reference services by providing liaison services to assigned faculty members, and by participating in the evening/weekend rotation schedule.
The incumbent oversees the overall technical services operations of the Law Library, including the management of electronic resources; monitors the technical services assistant; analyzes and designs efficient workflows; catalogs library materials in accordance with national best practices and standards in law libraries nationally; processes library invoices; tracks and analyzes library budgets; ensures library patron access to electronic resources; and other duties as assigned. Additionally, the incumbent will participate in the weekend/evening reference rotation. The minimum salary for an Assistant Librarian is $63,863.
- The minimum salary for an Associate Librarian is $74,789.
EDUCATION: Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education or equivalent.
- Previous experience using cataloging standards and tools such as AACR2/RDA, LCC, LCSH, MAR21, FRBR, OCLC WorldCat, and OCLC Connection.
- Demonstrated knowledge of integrated library systems, resources discovery tools, link resolvers and proxy authentication systems;
- Demonstrated skills with metadata tools, bibliographic data, cataloging standards, and quality control, in both print and digital environments.
- JD degree from an ABA accredited law school, or an equivalent from a foreign law school;
- Previous experience or job skills that demonstrate knowledge of types and uses of legal materials and experience with bibliographic access to legal information;
- 1 to 2 years of prior work experience in a law, research, or academic library;
- Supervisory and leadership experience;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
- The review of applications will begin October 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
- For the complete position description and to apply, please go to https://www.umassd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/.
The University of Massachusetts reserves the right to conduct background checks on potential employees.
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth values excellence, diversity, transparency, student-centeredness, accountability, innovation, engagement, collaboration, collegiality and safety. The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth employees and applicants for employment are protected by federal laws, Presidential Executive Orders, and state and local laws designed to protect employees and job applicants from discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, military service, veteran status or other nonmerit based factors.
Resource Access Assistant – Cooley
About Cooley: Cooley embraces a culture of doing things right, together. And in many ways, it’s a family. We spend an incredible amount of time together and we understand that part of our success lies in how we make the journey and look out for one another along the way. We share a vision of success, believe fiercely in our core values, and we support one another as we strive to live up to them. We are devoted to continually advancing our standing as one of the world’s greatest law firms, and we believe part of that is achieved when we live up to the promise of making our firm a great place to work. It’s an irreducible part of what makes us Cooley.
Position Summary: Cooley Information Services (IS) embraces a culture of customer service excellence and all members of the department are expected to move this agenda forward. To that end, the Resource Assistant is expected to recognize that the Cooley IS department is a service organization first and foremost and will be evaluated on this requirement equal in importance to the technical or operational responsibilities outlined later in this document.
The Resource Assistant III shall perform a firmwide function such as cataloging, acquisitions, electronic access, document retrieval or reference in addition to maintaining the collection and providing basic level reference services.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may coordinate the ordering of new print publications firmwide.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may provide basic research and reference services across the firm in a timely manner; provide assistance to the research analysts, including copying, delivery of documents, printing articles and cases. Assist with interlibrary loan and document retrieval.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may perform copy cataloging and original cataloging of materials across the firm using EOS; Maintain and update the resource catalog.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may order and cancel passwords for electronic resources, including the addition and deletion of users in Research Monitor.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may create/download, update, code, manage, and process database cost/usage spreadsheets across the firm; Contacts attorneys as needed to obtain billable numbers; Processes database invoices for payment and sends uploads to Accounting for cost recovery;
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may file contracts in CARS (Cooley Agreement Reporting System).
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may assist in setting up firmwide training sessions for electronic resources.
- Performs serial check-in and processing of materials in EOS; Claim missing materials as required. Proactively identify potential cancellations as needs/size change; order missing updates.
- Create and maintain routing records in EOS; route both print and electronic materials (may require scanning or copying materials).
- Working with vendors, obtain pricing information for publications and order new publications; Create appropriate records for new orders; Order and maintain appropriate stocks of desk copies.
- Verify and process invoices creating appropriate bill payment records for all electronic resources using EOS.
- Work with vendors to resolve problems (materials erroneously received, invoice errors, etc.).
- Liaise with filing staff, particularly managing of updates when irregularities occur.
- Handle circulation functions.
- Evaluate and maintain orderliness of shelved materials; shelve books, periodicals, and newspapers;
- In the absence of a research analyst, maintain the day-to-day operation of the local resources.
- Exercise care in the course of work to prevent injuries to oneself and co-workers.
- All other duties as assigned or required.
Skills & Experience:
- Available to work overtime, as required.
- After orientation at Cooley LLP, exhibit proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, FileSite and other Firm applications.
- 5+ years of technical services experience in a library or resource center or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in analyzing and anticipating situations, defining problems and objectives, recognizing alternatives and formulating solutions.
- B.A. or B.S. degree
- 2+ years of experience in the specialty relevant to the position.
- Skill in typing at the net rate of 30 words per minute
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them within defined time constraints.
- Ability to work with vendors to resolve problems.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Must be able to learn specialty software.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well both orally and in writing and to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Capable of working independently, accurately, effectively and efficiently under pressure while handling a high volume of materials quickly.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to act as a resource for, provide customer service in a courteous manner to, and work effectively with diverse groups of people at various levels within the organization.
- Customer service philosophy.
- Attention to detail.
To apply, please submit an application through this link: https://cooley.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Cooley_US_LLP/job/Boston/Resource-Access-Assistant_Req1183-8
PT Library Assistant – Boston, MA
Accufile, Inc., a professional library services firm, is seeking an experienced part-time, Library Assistant to join our team! The ideal candidate will have the ability to work 15 hours a week (3 days). You must have current legal research experience to be considered for this position.
Provide basic reference-level research such as article, docket, serial and case pulls.
Ability to curate news feeds for BNA Convergence newsletters
Familiarity with/ability to learn Softlink catalog platform
Process print materials, including check-in, labeling, barcoding, and routing, including:
- Process and check-in electronic resources
- Add users and manage user subscriptions
- Update MARC records with Cassidy Cataloging files as needed
- Audit catalog as needed
Respond to requests regarding legal department employee passwords and access, including:
- Issue, maintain and delete passwords for Westlaw, WestLegal Ed, Bloomberg Law, Law360, NILS
Manage material orders, including:
- Maintain, order and cancel material orders
- Open and process all incoming mail
- Process, track and reconcile invoices
- Maintain accounting ledgers and handle all special billing situations
- Communicate with clients concerning billing discrepancies and questions
- Maintain and audit ledgers as required
- Supervise high interns with loose-leaf filing, or perform the filing themselves
- Data entry for CI surveys
- Maintain Library Website Statistics spreadsheet
- Undergraduate/Associate’s level degree/coursework highly desirable, library coursework or progression towards library degree preferred
- Strong proficiency in all MS office products
- Current legal research experience a must!!
- Self-starter, ability to work and move work forward under minimum/remote supervision
- Experience with customer service and client communication
To be considered for this position, please forward cover letter and resume to Karen Gatteny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal/Business Research Intern (Paid): Analysis Group
The Research Intern will work closely with and under the guidance of the Marketing Department’s research team in the Boston office of economic consulting firm Analysis Group. The team’s researchers are librarians embedded within the firm’s Marketing Department, where they provide business development and legal research support to the firm.
Responsibilities: The Research Intern will be trained by the research team on our approach to searching sources including Lexis Advance, Westlaw, CourtLink, Bloomberg Law, and select news/online resources. The Research Intern will primarily support efforts to capture background on Analysis Group’s affiliated experts, potential experts, and opposing experts. Typical assignments will include searching for and reviewing expert reports/testimony submitted in various court matters, retrieving relevant decisions and other court filings, organizing and storing the results, and preparing background on potential expert witnesses in support of various business development projects. The Research Intern will have the opportunity to attend weekly research team meetings.
- Excellent written/spoken English
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must be able to organize, plan and work on multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize work, meet deadlines, and be flexible in order to respond to shifting demands
- Exhibit a desire to learn, participate and take ownership for workload
- Familiarity searching databases
- Interest in legal research
Commitment: 15 – 30 hours/week (2-3 month commitment) hours available Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5: 30 pm. The hourly rate is $20.00
Application Process: Please send a cover letter and resume to Bridget Lonergan at email@example.com
Additional Sources for Library Job Postings
Current nationwide listings posted at the American Association of Law Libraries website
An extensive online resource for jobs for information professionals, librarians, knowledge managers and those in related fields
Compiled by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
Compiled by the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
A service of the Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Special Libraries Association’s nationwide listing of library jobs
Posted by the New England Chapter of the Special Libraries Association
Search for library jobs at Boston College
Search the open job opportunities at Boston University
Search for library openings at Harvard Law School
Search for library openings at Northeastern University
Search for library openings at Suffolk University