You may submit a job posting for this section of the ABLL website to Kim Martin at email@example.com. Submit a brief description of the job with a link to the full job description as text in an email, no Word documents, please. Law library positions in the greater Boston area will be posted. Please notify Kim when the position is filled so that the posting can be removed. Postings will be removed after three months. Job postings will be retained in a members-only section of the ABLL website, all business and personal names and contact information will be removed prior to retention.
Assistant Director of Legal Career Services – University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
The mission of the Law School Career Services Office is to help students and graduates make informed decisions about career paths and develop individual strategies to obtain career goals. Under the direction of the Director of Legal Career Services, the Assistant Director will assist law school students and graduates in all aspects of the legal career planning and job search process by providing guidance, information and placement assistance. The Assistant Director will also work with the Director on career-related programming as well as on employer relations efforts focused on job development for current law school students and graduates. The incumbent will counsel law school students and graduates about their career paths and goals, review and edit law school students’ and graduates’ resumes, cover letters, and other application materials to best highlight their relevant professional skills, conduct interview preparation for law school students and graduates to hone their interviewing skills, work with law school students and graduates to develop and enhance their professional networking skills, and assist the Director with other related duties and special projects as assigned.
• Juris Doctor
• Previous (minimum of one to three years’) experience practicing law as an attorney, and previous (minimum of one to three years’) experience in one or more of the following areas; law school career services, professional career counseling involving careers in law, legal recruiting, advising, teaching, supervising, and/or mentoring law students or new attorneys, equivalent related experience with careers, the job market and/or career counseling.
• OTHER: Evening and weekend hours required. Some travel. Computer literate and familiarity with career-related technology and software.
• Familiarity with self-assessment tools.
• Proficiency using social media avenues and social networking tools.
• Experience as an attorney in both private practice and public interest.
• Public interest experience especially with fellowships and/or judicial clerkships.
• Knowledge of career options, hiring needs, recruiting practices, job market, employment trends, and professional development issues within the legal profession.
• Involvement in professional legal organizations.
For the complete position description and to apply, please go to:https://www.umassd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/.
Instructions for Applicants:
• To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
• The review of applications will begin October 31, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
• Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
• The University of Massachusetts reserves the right to conduct background checks on potential employees.
• The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth values excellence, diversity, transparency, student-centeredness, accountability, innovation, engagement, collaboration, collegiality and safety.
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth employees and applicants for employment are protected by federal laws, Presidential Executive Orders, and state and local laws designed to protect employees and job applicants from discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, military service, veteran status or other non-merit based factors.
Resource Access Assistant – Cooley
About Cooley: Cooley embraces a culture of doing things right, together. And in many ways, it’s a family. We spend an incredible amount of time together and we understand that part of our success lies in how we make the journey and look out for one another along the way. We share a vision of success, believe fiercely in our core values, and we support one another as we strive to live up to them. We are devoted to continually advancing our standing as one of the world’s greatest law firms, and we believe part of that is achieved when we live up to the promise of making our firm a great place to work. It’s an irreducible part of what makes us Cooley.
Position Summary: Cooley Information Services (IS) embraces a culture of customer service excellence and all members of the department are expected to move this agenda forward. To that end, the Resource Assistant is expected to recognize that the Cooley IS department is a service organization first and foremost and will be evaluated on this requirement equal in importance to the technical or operational responsibilities outlined later in this document.
The Resource Assistant III shall perform a firmwide function such as cataloging, acquisitions, electronic access, document retrieval or reference in addition to maintaining the collection and providing basic level reference services.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may coordinate the ordering of new print publications firmwide.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may provide basic research and reference services across the firm in a timely manner; provide assistance to the research analysts, including copying, delivery of documents, printing articles and cases. Assist with interlibrary loan and document retrieval.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may perform copy cataloging and original cataloging of materials across the firm using EOS; Maintain and update the resource catalog.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may order and cancel passwords for electronic resources, including the addition and deletion of users in Research Monitor.
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may create/download, update, code, manage, and process database cost/usage spreadsheets across the firm; Contacts attorneys as needed to obtain billable numbers; Processes database invoices for payment and sends uploads to Accounting for cost recovery;
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may file contracts in CARS (Cooley Agreement Reporting System).
- Under the supervision of a manager or specialist, may assist in setting up firmwide training sessions for electronic resources.
- Performs serial check-in and processing of materials in EOS; Claim missing materials as required. Proactively identify potential cancellations as needs/size change; order missing updates.
- Create and maintain routing records in EOS; route both print and electronic materials (may require scanning or copying materials).
- Working with vendors, obtain pricing information for publications and order new publications; Create appropriate records for new orders; Order and maintain appropriate stocks of desk copies.
- Verify and process invoices creating appropriate bill payment records for all electronic resources using EOS.
- Work with vendors to resolve problems (materials erroneously received, invoice errors, etc.).
- Liaise with filing staff, particularly managing of updates when irregularities occur.
- Handle circulation functions.
- Evaluate and maintain orderliness of shelved materials; shelve books, periodicals, and newspapers;
- In the absence of a research analyst, maintain the day-to-day operation of the local resources.
- Exercise care in the course of work to prevent injuries to oneself and co-workers.
- All other duties as assigned or required.
Skills & Experience:
- Available to work overtime, as required.
- After orientation at Cooley LLP, exhibit proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, FileSite and other Firm applications.
- 5+ years of technical services experience in a library or resource center or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in analyzing and anticipating situations, defining problems and objectives, recognizing alternatives and formulating solutions.
- B.A. or B.S. degree
- 2+ years of experience in the specialty relevant to the position.
- Skill in typing at the net rate of 30 words per minute
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them within defined time constraints.
- Ability to work with vendors to resolve problems.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Must be able to learn specialty software.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well both orally and in writing and to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Capable of working independently, accurately, effectively and efficiently under pressure while handling a high volume of materials quickly.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to act as a resource for, provide customer service in a courteous manner to, and work effectively with diverse groups of people at various levels within the organization.
- Customer service philosophy.
- Attention to detail.
To apply, please submit an application through this link: https://cooley.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Cooley_US_LLP/job/Boston/Resource-Access-Assistant_Req1183-8
PT Library Assistant – Boston, MA
Accufile, Inc., a professional library services firm, is seeking an experienced part-time, Library Assistant to join our team! The ideal candidate will have the ability to work 15 hours a week (3 days). You must have current legal research experience to be considered for this position.
Provide basic reference-level research such as article, docket, serial and case pulls.
Ability to curate news feeds for BNA Convergence newsletters
Familiarity with/ability to learn Softlink catalog platform
Process print materials, including check-in, labeling, barcoding, and routing, including:
- Process and check-in electronic resources
- Add users and manage user subscriptions
- Update MARC records with Cassidy Cataloging files as needed
- Audit catalog as needed
Respond to requests regarding legal department employee passwords and access, including:
- Issue, maintain and delete passwords for Westlaw, WestLegal Ed, Bloomberg Law, Law360, NILS
Manage material orders, including:
- Maintain, order and cancel material orders
- Open and process all incoming mail
- Process, track and reconcile invoices
- Maintain accounting ledgers and handle all special billing situations
- Communicate with clients concerning billing discrepancies and questions
- Maintain and audit ledgers as required
- Supervise high interns with loose-leaf filing, or perform the filing themselves
- Data entry for CI surveys
- Maintain Library Website Statistics spreadsheet
- Undergraduate/Associate’s level degree/coursework highly desirable, library coursework or progression towards library degree preferred
- Strong proficiency in all MS office products
- Current legal research experience a must!!
- Self-starter, ability to work and move work forward under minimum/remote supervision
- Experience with customer service and client communication
To be considered for this position, please forward cover letter and resume to Karen Gatteny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal/Business Research Intern (Paid): Analysis Group
The Research Intern will work closely with and under the guidance of the Marketing Department’s research team in the Boston office of economic consulting firm Analysis Group. The team’s researchers are librarians embedded within the firm’s Marketing Department, where they provide business development and legal research support to the firm.
Responsibilities: The Research Intern will be trained by the research team on our approach to searching sources including Lexis Advance, Westlaw, CourtLink, Bloomberg Law, and select news/online resources. The Research Intern will primarily support efforts to capture background on Analysis Group’s affiliated experts, potential experts, and opposing experts. Typical assignments will include searching for and reviewing expert reports/testimony submitted in various court matters, retrieving relevant decisions and other court filings, organizing and storing the results, and preparing background on potential expert witnesses in support of various business development projects. The Research Intern will have the opportunity to attend weekly research team meetings.
- Excellent written/spoken English
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must be able to organize, plan and work on multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize work, meet deadlines, and be flexible in order to respond to shifting demands
- Exhibit a desire to learn, participate and take ownership for workload
- Familiarity searching databases
- Interest in legal research
Commitment: 15 – 30 hours/week (2-3 month commitment) hours available Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5: 30 pm. The hourly rate is $20.00
Application Process: Please send a cover letter and resume to Bridget Lonergan at email@example.com
Additional Sources for Library Job Postings
Current nationwide listings posted at the American Association of Law Libraries website
An extensive online resource for jobs for information professionals, librarians, knowledge managers and those in related fields
Compiled by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
Compiled by the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
A service of the Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Special Libraries Association’s nationwide listing of library jobs
Posted by the New England Chapter of the Special Libraries Association
Search for library jobs at Boston College
Search the open job opportunities at Boston University
Search for library openings at Harvard Law School
Search for library openings at Northeastern University
Search for library openings at Suffolk University