You may submit a job posting for this section of the ABLL website to Kim Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit a brief description of the job with a link to the full job description as text in an email, no Word documents, please. Law library positions in the greater Boston area will be posted. Please notify Kim when the position is filled so that the posting can be removed. Postings will be removed after three months. Job postings will be retained in a members-only section of the ABLL website, all business and personal names and contact information will be removed prior to retention.
Temporary Law Librarian (full-time)
Northeastern University School of Law Library
Northeastern University Law Library has an opening for a temporary law librarian. This position would start Monday August 2nd, with a possibility to negotiate a later start date. The position duration would range between six and twelve months.
The Law Library is a center for research, study and community. Law Librarians are critical to the function of the Law Library and provide training and assistance with online and print resources, instructional services (both one-offs and semester long) and research help to faculty, students and staff.
This professional librarian must possess a Masters of Library and Information Science degree or substantial progress toward completion of this degree; or a J.D. Law library experience is particularly desirable, although we will train the right candidate. Teaching experience is also a plus, since it would be ideal for this librarian to teach a 1 credit Legal Research Workshop class in the Fall Semester. Mentorship and materials from previous classes and training are provided. The candidate should enjoy working with a diverse population and possess excellent public services skills. Excellent research, reference, writing, word-processing and bibliographic skills are required. Basic Excel skills are also required or the willingness to complete training tutorials to get up to speed for research projects. A sense of humor is essential. We need a responsible, motivated, creative team player who is also able to work independently. You must enjoy completing a variety of tasks.
The candidate is expected to work in-person. The library is staffed in-person and remotely, with drop-in, email, telephone and chat research help available Monday-Friday 8:30 – 5:00 p.m.
$25.00 – $30.00 per hour, based on experience and qualifications; paid sick time; no other benefits
This is a full-time position (25 – 40 hours/week). Occasional evenings and weekends may be required to meet programming needs.
Interested candidates should submit a pdf format cover letter, resume, and the names of two references in a single document to:
Sharon Persons, Director of the Law Library
Northeastern University School of Law
416 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02131, 617-373-3883
Library Manager – Seyfarth Shaw
The Library Manager is responsible for providing in-depth legal, business, and client development research and reference services to attorneys, clients, and firm personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collect, manage, and synthesize information to create a customized, client-ready work product.
- Partner effectively with librarians in other offices to provide seamless research service for attorneys in all firm locations.
- Manage and maintain relationships with outside libraries, vendors, and associations to ensure prompt and cost effective service.
- Collaborate on Library, Marketing, Client Development, New Business Intake and Knowledge Management initiatives and services with staff firm-wide.
- Provide training for electronic/hardcopy resources and cost effective computer-assisted legal research.
- Resolve IT issues regarding electronic library resources involving the firm’s IT Department and external vendors as necessary.
- Recommend and consult with stakeholders regarding new library resources; and negotiate vendor contracts, subscriptions, and services;
- Implement and supervise hardcopy and electronic current awareness services; and promote and market the library information resources and services.
- Manage the library budget. Review, approve, and investigate as necessary monthly bills and charge backs.
- Develop and maintain both the physical and virtual library collections and environments.
- Contribute data to the firm wide electronic library catalog; process new materials for inclusion into physical and virtual collections.
- Promote and market the library information resources and services.
- Create and maintain user accounts for databases systems including Lexis and Westlaw.
- Complete additional projects as assigned.QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or related field, strongly preferred.
- Three years of experience as a Law Librarian responsible for managing library services of a multi-practice and multi- jurisdictional firm or university.
- Ability to perform traditional and non-traditional print and electronic research including online searching using Lexis, Westlaw, Law360, BNA, CCH, PLC, and other online databases.
- Experience in collecting, managing, and synthesizing information from Courthouse New Service (CNS), PACER, and other court-related websites.
- Demonstrated ability in performing product evaluations and negotiating national contracts for library research services.
- Experience creating and managing a budget.
- Knowledge of Massachusetts and New England states laws and court systems a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job, and duties may change from time to time depending on our business needs.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
Seyfarth provides competitive salary and benefits at all levels, and our culture embraces the entrepreneurial spirit of its professionals like no other firm. Our allied professionals are a collaborative team, helping to define the unique client experience offered by the firm. We understand that it takes more than attorneys to build a successful legal practice; everyone participates in our commitment to excellence.
We are also proud to be an influential leader in inclusion and diversity. The firm has been recognized for our efforts by the Human Rights Campaign and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. We are Mansfield 2.0 certified, a reflection of our ongoing commitment to advancing candidates from underrepresented groups.
MORE ABOUT SEYFARTH:
With more than 900 lawyers across 17 offices, Seyfarth Shaw LLP provides advisory, litigation, and transactional legal services to clients worldwide. Learn more about The Seyfarth Experience at www.seyfarth.com/careers/.
Seyfarth Shaw is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Seyfarth Shaw maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster through the followinglink:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Seyfarth is an EO Employer –M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Resource Access Assistant – Cooley
Cooley is seeking a Resource Access Assistant to join the Research Services team. Boston or Washington DC
- Under the supervision of a Manager or Specialist, assist with deactivation of user access to digital research resources with the vendor, and remove internal user records using Research Monitor
- Under the supervision of a Manager or Specialist, maintain Secretary of State department deposit accounts and process associated billing via Chrome River
- Under the supervision of a Manager or Specialist process select monthly invoices for Lexis and Thomson Reuters via Chrome River and enter associated payment records into EOS acquisitions
- Under the supervision of a Manager or Specialist, file research contracts in CARS (Cooley Agreement Reporting System)
- Under the supervision of a Manager or Specialist, assist with maintenance of the integrated library system and print collection
- All other duties as assigned
Skills and experience:
- Available to work overtime, as required
- After orientation at Cooley LLP, exhibit proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, iManage and other firm applications
- 2+ years of technical services experience in a research center or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with an integrated library system
- Law related experience a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them within defined time constraints
- Ability to work with vendors to resolve problems
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Must be able to learn specialty software
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well both orally and in writing and to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to analyze and anticipate situations, define problems and objectives, recognize alternatives and formulate solutions
- Capable of working independently, accurately, effectively and efficiently under pressure while handling a high volume of materials quickly
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to act as a resource for, provide customer service in a courteous manner to, and work effectively with diverse groups of people at various levels within the organization
- Customer service philosophy
- Attention to detail
Cooley offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package.
Dechert – Research Analyst
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Research and References:
- Conduct efficient and cost effective research and reference support to attorneys and legal assistants using the most appropriate online and print sources.
- Instruct patrons in use of materials in the Research Services collection, including online databases.
- Develop liaison relationship with Practice Groups by attending PG meetings
- In conjunction with the Manager of Research and Competitive Intelligence and the Manager of Training and Outreach services organize online database training for attorneys and paralegals.
- In conjunction with the Manager or Research and Competitive Intelligence and the Manager of Training and Outreach Services develop research guides and pathfinders to collection.
- Meet with attorneys regarding anticipated research needs and products.
- Produce current awareness newsletters and alerts and monitor legislative issues for attorneys.
- Research topics for attorneys writing articles and presenting speeches.
- Obtain documents and books from outside sources via telephone calls, orders, documents from agencies, courts, document retrieval services and other libraries.
- Track and record billable and non-billable time spent providing research services to library clients on a daily basis and promptly process requests through the Quest ticketing system.
- Supervise the operation of part time filers.
- Implement Research Services policies that are created by the Research Services Leadership Team.
- Conduct local orientation with new attorneys in conjunction with the Manager of Training and Outreach Services.
- Promote Research Services to legal and administrative staff in assigned offices.
- Actively pursue continuing education opportunities and read professional literature to ensure that our research services are efficient, cost-effective and complete.
- Participates in professional conferences when scheduling permits.
- Occasional travel to other Firm offices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work with the Director of Research Services, the Manager of Technical Services and the Collection Development Analyst to review the collection for acquisition/deselecting/weeding of materials and plan for space issues and oversees shifting of collection.
Acquisition and Budgeting:
- Assist in the annual budgeting process as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- Extensive legal and business research experience using both online and print resources.
- Well-developed professional interpersonal skills.
- Customer service focused.
- Outstanding problem solving ability with outstanding organizational, management, and supervisory skills.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple competing tasks and demands, provide high levels of customer service and maintain a professional demeanor under stress.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent degree required
- Two to five years of reference and research experience with knowledge of legal materials and databases used to support the Firm’s practice areas and research needs for client work and for business development efforts.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
New York, Austin, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington
To apply please submit your resume at the following link: https://dechert.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/DechertCareers/job/New-York/Research-Analyst_R-1807
Research Analyst – Goulston & Storrs
Reporting to the Manager of Research Services, and working as a member of the Knowledge Services team, the Research Analyst responds to requests for research, document delivery, and inter-library loans. In addition, the analyst supports access to Knowledge Services resources through the management and maintenance of the department’s systems and records. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal, organization, and communication skills, and will be adept at multitasking and prioritizing work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides research services, document delivery, and inter-library loans for the firm’s attorneys and staff in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner
- Works collaboratively with Knowledge Services team to manage requests and provide excellent customer service
- Maintains a working knowledge of all research and knowledge resources; develops and maintains proficiency using electronic resources and databases in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- In conjunction with the Manager of Research Services, implements and maintains news, litigation, and current awareness monitoring.
- Assists in the management of research resources regardless of format, to ensure access and findability
- Maintains the collection, including the administration of resource management systems
- In conjunction with the Knowledge Services team, participates in the identification, development, evaluation, and implementation of research and intelligence resources.
- Markets research services and current awareness tools through orientations and promotional efforts in cooperation with members of the Knowledge Services team
- Continues to develop skills, knowledge and ability to improve processes and procedures and to keep updated on trends and developments in the industry
- All other duties as assigned or required
Core Competencies and Qualifications
- Strong analytical and research skills with the ability to respond to research requests with appropriate, timely, and accurate research products
- Ability to independently assess patron needs and to develop responsive solutions
- Ability to prioritize work, multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collegially in a fast-paced, intellectually stimulating team environment with a strong commitment to service
- Expertise in utilizing various legal and business electronic platforms such as CapitalIQ, Westlaw, PACER, Cheetah, among others
- After orientation, exhibit proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Outlook, NetDocs, and other firm applications and software
- 1-2 years’ experience in an academic or professional services setting
- Bachelor’s degree required. MS in Library Science, MS in Information Science, or JD preferred.
This job description is intended to be general and may evolve over time. It is subject to periodic updating and is subject, at the firm’s discretion, to the assignment of different or additional duties.
Goulston & Storrs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, handicap, disability or veteran status in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. In addition, Goulston & Storrs complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
- To apply please email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
LAC Group seeks a Virtual Legal Research Analyst to be part of an experienced and talented research team for a prestigious international law firm. This role will work independently as well as with a research team providing legal and other types of research to attorneys and staff. This is a full-time benefitted temp position (4-6 months) that could lead to a permanent position and will be 100% remote.
- Conduct research and analytics in legal, business and other subjects.
- Serve as practice, subject, and/or industry research specialist in areas aligned with the firm’s practice and business.
- Provide training on research strategies and resources as requested.
- Participate in collection development including new databases, websites and print material.
- Occasional evening and weekend coverage is required as part of team rotation.
- MLS from an ALA accredited university and at least 3 years of experience in a research environment.
- Experience with industry research tools such as LexisNexus, WestLaw, Factiva, Cap IQ, Bloomberg, etc.
- Strong technical skills, including familiarity with SharePoint and MS Office
To apply, visit: https://lac.gp/3ygWIxN
Research Analyst – LAC Group
Location: USA – Virtual – Remote
LAC Group is seeking a full-time, experienced Research Analyst to work virtually for our Library as a Service (LaaS) platform. The Research Analyst will join a team of researchers in staffing a busy and diverse virtual research desk, performing and managing requests for legal, corporate, business development, and other research from LaaS clients, with a particular focus on Securities and Corporate practice areas. All research and communication will be performed online and by phone, using both paid databases and open sources. The Research Analyst will report directly to the Director of Research Services and will work with other Analysts to complete research requests in a timely, professional, and cost-effective manner. Research will be delivered directly to clients using a virtual reference desk platform.
This is a full-time virtual position that can be located anywhere in the US.
- Perform Securities/SEC filings/corporate-based research for LaaS clients using both paid databases (including Bloomberg Terminal, etc.) and open sources (web searches, government databases, phone research, etc.) Perform additional research including legal, business development, etc. as needed.
- Communicate progress and research findings directly to client in a clear and concise manner
- Work with clients to clarify research objectives when necessary and provide timely follow-up on pending requests
- Maintain current understanding of research methods and tools, including database enhancements and updates
- Keep Director apprised of research activities, client concerns, and issues that arise in the course of research
- Work as a team with other Research Analysts to provide seamless service to clients, including but not limited to complex and long-term projects
- Provide training and updates to research team regarding ongoing client projects
- On occasion, manage small research teams to accomplish more complex research objectives
- Manage database access and other resources used for research
- Other duties as they arise according to client requests
- 3-5 years experience as a finance/corporate researcher in a law firm library, preferably with some business development, SEC/corporate, financial research experience.
- MLS or JD preferred, though work experience or a similar or related degree may take the place of MLS/JD
- Extensive experience with Lexis and Westlaw, and securities and corporate-focused databases including Intelligize, Capital IQ. Bloomberg Terminal experience is strongly preferred.
- Advanced legal research skills performed in a multi-practice environment, including but not limited to docket and case law research, secondary sources, and general practice guidance
- Experience with corporate and business development research including gathering information from diverse sources (annual reports, SEC filings, Secretary of State records, case law, patent and trademark applications and records, lobbying activity, etc.)
- Experience with open-source research beyond search engine use, including government and non-profit databases, think tanks and academic sources
- Exceptional client service skills, particularly via written communication
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively and efficiently interact with colleagues and clients alike
- Current experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as G-Suite applications (Drive, Sheets, Docs)
Please find the complete job description and apply here: https://www.libgig.com/careers/research-analyst-lac-group/a0E1H00001NuFZVUA3/
Client Relationship Manager (CRM) Intern – part-time – Brattle Group
The Brattle Group is seeking a part-time Client Relationship Manager (CRM) Intern in our Boston, MA, office. The ideal candidate is intellectually curious, enjoys researching, has a strong attention to detail and accuracy, understands the importance of data quality, and is capable of filtering through/reviewing large amounts of data. This internship also provides the unique opportunity for students to observe firsthand how the CRM ties into business development, marketing, and other firm initiatives.
Some of the day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Categorize (“tag”) contacts based on biographic and curriculum vitae information to support Brattle’s marketing and business development efforts
- Learn Brattle consultants’ areas of practice and industry focus, to enable development of accurate, tailored lists
- Assist with data cleansing prioritization by analyzing data from predefined searches and making decisions based on these results in conjunction with understanding business needs
- Work closely with the Senior CRM Specialist to confirm the accuracy and completion of the above tasks, and other CRM-related projects that may arise
- Attend ad-hoc marketing meetings
- A student with a bachelor’s degree, ideally pursuing a Master’s in Library Science
- Excellent written/spoken English
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated desire to learn, participate, and take ownership for workload
- Familiarity using databases
- Interest in knowledge management
The Brattle Group is a privately held, global economics consultancy. Clients – including corporations, law firms, and government agencies – rely on our experts’ sophisticated capabilities in economic modeling, econometrics, and financial analysis to solve their most challenging problems. Our work typically involves issues related to finance and energy, as well as litigation and regulatory support, across a broad range of industries.
For 10 straight years, Vault has named Brattle as a top consulting firm to work for. Our company’s success derives from the quality of our professionals, and we are committed to each individual’s personal and professional development and success.
We are a growing firm with offices in 11 major metropolitan centers in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific and are always looking for bright people to join our team.
To be considered for this position, you must apply through the Careers section of our website (http://www.brattle.com/careers/job-openings) by submitting a cover letter and resume. No phone calls please.
The Brattle Group is an equal opportunity employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Please click here to view our full EEO statement.
Additional Sources for Library Job Postings
Current nationwide listings posted at the American Association of Law Libraries website
An extensive online resource for jobs for information professionals, librarians, knowledge managers and those in related fields
Compiled by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
Compiled by the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
A service of the Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Special Libraries Association’s nationwide listing of library jobs
Posted by the New England Chapter of the Special Libraries Association
Search for library jobs at Boston College
Search the open job opportunities at Boston University
Search for library openings at Harvard Law School
Search for library openings at Northeastern University
Search for library openings at Suffolk University