You may submit a job posting for this section of the ABLL website to Kim Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit a brief description of the job with a link to the full job description as text in an email, no Word documents, please. Law library positions in the greater Boston area will be posted. Please notify Kim when the position is filled so that the posting can be removed. Postings will be removed after three months. Job postings will be retained in a members-only section of the ABLL website, all business and personal names and contact information will be removed prior to retention.
Legal/Business Research Intern (Paid): Analysis Group
The Research Intern will work closely with and under the guidance of the Marketing Department’s research team in the Boston office of economic consulting firm Analysis Group. The team’s researchers are librarians embedded within the firm’s Marketing Department, where they provide business development and legal research support to the firm.
Responsibilities: The Research Intern will be trained by the research team on our approach to searching sources including Lexis Advance, Westlaw, CourtLink, Bloomberg Law, and select news/online resources. The Research Intern will primarily support efforts to capture background on Analysis Group’s affiliated experts, potential experts, and opposing experts. Typical assignments will include searching for and reviewing expert reports/testimony submitted in various court matters, retrieving relevant decisions and other court filings, organizing and storing the results, and preparing background on potential expert witnesses in support of various business development projects. The Research Intern will have the opportunity to attend weekly research team meetings.
- Excellent written/spoken English
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must be able to organize, plan and work on multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize work, meet deadlines, and be flexible in order to respond to shifting demands
- Exhibit a desire to learn, participate and take ownership for workload
- Familiarity searching databases
- Interest in legal research
Commitment: 15 – 30 hours/week (2-3 month commitment) hours available Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5: 30 pm. The hourly rate is $20.00
Application Process: Please send a cover letter and resume to Bridget Lonergan at email@example.com
Resource Specialist : Mintz
Under the direction of the Manager, Resources and Systems, the Resource Specialist works as part of the team to team to make sure that our collection of materials is comprehensive, accurate and easily available to attorneys and administrators firm-wide. The Resource Specialist is responsible for the accurate and timely creation and updating of acquisitions, catalog and vendor records. The Specialist also works closely with the Senior Resource & Systems Specialist to maintain electronic resource management databases and systems.
Manages acquisitions, cataloging, serial controls, filing and other collection maintenance and other resource maintenance tasks for Electronic Resources.
Ensures accuracy of all systems and data.
Handles incoming mail and serials control, sorting and distributing the mail, creating records and entering data in library ILS, returning items, and running prediction reports and claiming items as needed.
Maintains routing lists and prepares current awareness materials for distribution.
Ensures Routed Materials lists are accurate and current.
Maintains files of electronic current awareness materials in the RS Alerts mailbox identifying renewal and other critical notices. Monitors emails received to identify missing issues and identify publisher formatting problems.
Maintains department publisher and vendor records, including the publisher contact in Outlook and Vendor Correspondence public folders in desksite.
Monitors vendor contract renewals, vendor usage reports and works with the Research Services Coordinator maintaining the contract renewals spreadsheet.
Assists with onboarding new users including adding records to Library ILS, Ozmosys, and Law360.
Assists with off-boarding by deleting users from routing lists and ILS records.
Maintains data in password, membership and license documents, following procedures set by the Senior Resource & Systems Specialist.
Maintains current knowledge of Firm software solutions (Chrome, Elite, etc) and is department resource for training and reporting issues.
Assists in performing general maintenance of the collection by reshelving, visiting satellite offices weekly and participating in office searches and other efforts to maintain the collection.
Maintains current knowledge of print collection, particularly electronic offerings of titles in the print collection.
Serves as back up for Resource Specialist – Print.
Continuing Education and Communication
Maintains current knowledge of developments in Research Services ILS modules used on a regular basis.
Actively participates in department meetings.
Communicates clearly and courteously with patrons and staff.
Participates in special projects as assigned.
Conducts business in compliance with the Firm copyright and licensing policy.
Bachelor degree required and Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited school or equivalent degree.
3+years’ experience in a law firm or corporate library is strongly preferred.
Proficiency with general office software and applications, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Familiarity with SharePoint and PowerPoint
Knowledge of technical services functions, collection management and library technologies in a business setting including integrated library systems and other software used to manage library or acquisitions information preferred.
Familiarity with library software and applications.
Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
Detail oriented and good with figures.
Ability to communicate well, orally and in writing.
Excellent interpersonal skills, including a strong customer service orientation.
Ability to work effectively under pressure and to manage multiple priorities under deadlines.
Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
Self-motivated, resourceful and creative.
This job description is a general description of the types of responsibilities that are required of an individual in this job. It is not intended to be a complete list of the responsibilities, duties and skills that may be required for this job.
Please apply online: https://careers.mintz.com/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx?FilterREID=3
Research and Reference Librarian – Accufile
Accufile, Inc., a professional library services firm, has an immediate need for an experienced Research Librarian for a 3-4-month temporary position, with great potential to become permanent. Our client, a large Boston law firm, is seeking an experienced reference librarian for at least a 3-4-month temporary assignment. The ideal candidate must be an experienced librarian, skilled in providing strong reference expertise to support the firm’s practice areas and the ability to work for the full position length. There is a strong possibility for temp to perm for the right candidate.
- Responsible for support of reference and research services for the firm’s attorneys by providing skilled and sophisticated legal and non-legal research.
- Provide business development and competitive intelligence research in support of the Firm’s marketing and client development work.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all library resources, both electronic and print; develop and maintain proficiency using electronic resources and databases in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Train and orient newly hired attorneys and other professional staff in assigned offices to the services and resources offered in the Information Services department.
- Evaluate and recommend new resources, databases and research tools.
- Manage and update the library’s Knowledge Base.
- MLIS is required
- 3-5 years of library experience
- Law library experience a plus
- Knowledge of professional librarianship concepts, principles, and practices
- Possess successful experience and skill in providing business and legal research and reference services
- Experience with SharePoint, Newsdesk and Manzama a plus
Salary: TBD, dependent upon related experience
To be considered for this position please forward cover letter and resume to Karen Gatteny at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Research Analyst – Mintz – Boston
Under the direction of the Director of Research Services, the Senior Research Analyst works as part of the team to provide expert and in-depth research services to all attorneys, legal staff, administrators and others firm-wide. Senior Research Analysts also serve as specialists and project leaders.
An analyst holds a senior position because of their knowledge and experience which allows them to perform at the highest level. Senior Research Analysts serve as designated specialists (subject, industry, practice area, and/or type of research) and are expected to lead/drive other projects or areas.
Research and Reference Services
- Conduct high-level, customizable research and analysis in legal, business, and other subjects using appropriate print or electronic resources.
- Respond to questions or research issues accurately, and in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Monitor research intake and handles research projects in accordance with the schedule implemented by the Manager, Research and Reference.
- Lead or coordinate large or group projects, as required.
- Present results using department branding and templates whenever possible.
- Serve as practice, subject, industry and/or type of research specialist in areas identified by the Director and Manager, Research and Reference.
Orientation, Training and Knowledge Sharing Services
- Assist with the development of orientation and training materials.
- Participate in formal orientation and training sessions.
- Conduct on-demand training in the use of print or electronic resources.
- Identify attorney research and training needs and proactively provides opportunities for education.
- Assist in developing content for the intranet and other internal firm meetings.
Continuing Education and Communication
- Maintain current knowledge of developments in research and competitive intelligence services and resources.
- Maintain awareness of current and emerging technologies relevant to research services and share knowledge with the team and attorney groups.
- Actively participate in department, practice and other internal firm meetings.
- Review, evaluate and recommend new resources.
- Participate in collection development, collection maintenance and budget management.
- Participate in, or lead, special projects as assigned.
- Assume additional responsibilities as requested.
- Master of Library Science (“MLS”) from an ALA accredited school or equivalent degree.
- 3+ years’ experience providing research and reference in a law firm or corporate environment. Law firm experience is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of research methodology as well as print and electronic resources in the areas of law relevant to the firm’s practice areas.
- Proficiency with wide variety of relevant research services.
- Ability to prepare reports, executive summaries, and other correspondence necessary to communicate research results.
- Understands Research Services policies and procedures; accurately interprets and effectively implements them.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to influence others.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment, prioritize multiple projects on a daily basis, and adjust to shifting priorities.
- Strong planning, project management and organizational skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and a high-energy level.
- Facility analyzing, working with and presenting data.
- Ability to collaborate and gain the respect, trust and confidence of the Firm’s attorneys and professional staff.
- Possess a “hands-on” tactical approach.
- Creative and proactive approach to problem solving.
- Facilitate teamwork and identify opportunities to develop new processes/infrastructure.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp and implement new concepts quickly.
- Strong analytical abilities, resourcefulness, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with a proactive and positive style that fosters collaborative working relationships.
- Outstanding sense of customer service.
- Deep personal commitment to integrity, excellent judgment and the highest standards of ethics.
- Must display the highest level of diplomacy, tact and discretion, with comfort in handling and maintaining confidential information.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with library technologies, including software and products used for communication, research and knowledge sharing. Ability to quickly get up to speed and master new applications and software is critical.
Link to apply via our website: https://careers.mintz.com/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx?FilterREID=3
Sullivan & Worcester – Research and Reference Librarian – Boston
The Research and Reference Librarian provides research and reference training, services, and assistance to attorneys, paralegals and support staff. The incumbent works closely with the library director to ensure that the firm’s research resources are aligned with the firm’s needs and goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide reference and research services for the firm’s attorneys and staff in a timely, effective and efficient manner
- Provide business development and competitive intelligence research in support of the Firm’s marketing and client development work
- Implement and maintain news, litigation and client alerts; provide current awareness services to support the firm’s client and business development work
- Maintain a working knowledge of all library resources, both electronic and print; develop and maintain proficiency using electronic resources and databases in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- Develop and conduct training on the efficient use of firm resources
- Evaluate and recommend new resources, databases and research tools
- Responsible for end-user training and adoption of new and updated research resources
- Work with library director, practice group leaders and IT to edit/curate library and practice area portals on the intranet
- Develop and deliver training to first year and summer associates as well as new staff
- Create and update online training modules
- Manage and update the library’s Knowledge Base
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s in Library/Information Science preferred
- 3-5 years of library or law firm experience
- Strong service orientation with desire and ability to enhance attorney productivity
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Experience with SharePoint, Newsdesk and Manzama a plus
Boston University School of Law – Serials & Metadata Librarian
The Fineman and Pappas Law Libraries at the Boston University School of Law is seeking a Serials & Metadata Librarian. Reporting to the Associate Director, the Serials & Metadata Librarian is responsible for managing the acquisition, access, maintenance, and preservation of continuing resources in all formats. This person implements and monitors all library systems and technologies related to the bibliographic control and preservation of continuing titles, and is expected to participate in library committees and to participate in professional development and collaborative activities. There is the option to be hired as a Serials & Metadata Librarian or Senior Serials & Metadata Librarian depending on experience level.
About the Fineman and Pappas Law Libraries
The law library at Boston University holds one of the largest law school research collections in the United States and is the Collection Services team brings order to the chaos. We work closely with other libraries on campus, but our strong staff and independent structure allow us the flexibility to try new programs and seek creative solutions when meeting patron needs. Located on the Charles River in the heart of the Boston University campus, we are in a beautifully renovated building surrounded by a vibrant environment of arts and education. Boston University is an excellent employer, offering strong benefits packages, growth and development opportunities, and strong staff support.
The Serials & Metadata Librarian reports to the Associate Director for Systems and Collection Services and is responsible for the following:
- Administrating and maintaining our extensive continuing resources collection
- Maintaining metadata, including copy cataloging, occasional original cataloging, and loading vendor-supplied MARC record sets
- Managing the workflow of the Serials Control Technician
- Assisting with collection development and maintenance, including serving on the Selections committee and performing the appropriate systems work to implement collections decisions and regularly working with vendors
We are looking for candidates with excellent attention to detail, interest in learning new systems, and an eye for improving procedures to increase efficiency. You should have:
- Experience working closely with and directing the work of others
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing a complex workload
- A strong interest in improving library services through new projects
- Familiarity with legal publishing
- Comfort working with next-generation integrated library systems, such as Ex Libris’sAlma
- Master’s degree in library science and 1-3 years of experience managing library resources, or 3 years or more experience in managing library resources
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to https://www.bu.edu/hr/careers/.
Nixon Peabody – Firmwide Research Librarian
Job Description:We are seeking an experienced Firmwide Research Librarian to conduct comprehensive legal research on complex fact patterns and legal issues.
A career at Nixon Peabody is the opportunity to do work that matters. It’s the chance to use your knowledge to shape what’s ahead. To share, to innovate, to learn at a firm that taps the power of collective thinking.
We’ve created a dynamic, energizing environment that promotes success for our clients and each other. We offer fast growth, connectedness and training in business as well as law. And our rigorous standards assure you are part of a diverse team of top talent at every turn.
At Nixon Peabody, our priority is to attract, retain and promote talented individuals who have an array of racial, ethnic, social, economic, religious, professional, personal, and other backgrounds. Therefore, we encourage talented individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
If you’re someone who’s looking toward the future, we’d love to hear from you.
Office: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Rochester, New York City, Boston, or Washington D.C.
- Provide in-depth legal and business research services to attorneys and staff in a wide variety of practice areas using both print and online resources.
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex litigation research, including finding cases and secondary materials related to specific fact patterns in a wide variety of jurisdictions.
- Gather, analyze, synthesize and present a summary of relevant, well targeted research findings to attorneys and staff to facilitate decision making and business planning.
- As part of the Library & Research Services Team, collaborate and coordinate with library staff in other geographies to provide seamless research service for attorneys in all firm locations. In particular, focus on providing backup during times of Library staff absences in other offices so as to maintain adequate coverage.
- Assist with managing workflow across all offices to insure balanced workload, coordination and prioritization of requests to meet attorneys, staff and client needs.
- Actively engages in innovation and Library outreach, training and orientation programs. Present research training programs for attorneys and staff through a variety of formats including in person sessions at attorney meetings and web enabled training.
- Establish relationships with attorneys to improve, expand and market the range of available information sources and services.
- Take part in special projects as requested by the Director of Library & Research Services, including evaluation of new information resources.
- Continue professional development through various firm and association sponsored activities.
- Masters of Library Science required.
- 3-5 years professional library related experience in a legal setting conducting in-depth research.
- Superior knowledge of complex research in multiple practice areas and jurisdictions.
- Solid proficiency in the use of both print and online resources.
- Highly developed analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Proven ability to be well organized, work quickly with great attention to detail, and prioritize and manage multiple time sensitive and diverse projects.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing superior quality client service.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and collaboratively within and across departments and with all levels of personnel and to succeed in a teamwork environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including advanced presentation skills.
Nixon Peabody is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: Disability/Female/Gender Identity/Minority/Sexual Orientation/Veteran. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Goulston Storrs – Competitive Intelligence Analyst
Reporting to the Manager of Research Services, and working as a member of the Knowledge Services team, the Competitive Intelligence (CI) Analyst responds to requests from attorneys, paralegals and staff, to perform wide-ranging research on legal and business issues necessary for client legal services, business development, and firm administration. The CI Analyst participates in the firm’s educational initiatives by providing training, orientation and consultative services and proactively monitors the legal industry and contributes ideas and solutions to further the goals of Knowledge Services and the firm.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides business development and competitive intelligence research in support of the firm’s marketing and client development work.
- Provides expert research services for the firm’s attorneys and staff in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all research and knowledge resources; develops and maintains proficiency using electronic resources and databases in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- In conjunction with the Manager of Research Services, implements and maintains news, litigation, and current awareness monitoring.
- Develops training programs and materials on research sources and legal research techniques and strategies.
- In conjunction with the Knowledge Services team, participates in the identification, development, evaluation, and implementation of research and intelligence resources.
- Markets research services and current awareness tools through orientations and promotional efforts in cooperation with members of the Knowledge Services team.
- Continues to develop skills, knowledge and ability to improve processes and procedures and to keep updated on trends and developments in the industry.
- All other duties as assigned or required.
Core Competencies and Qualifications
- Strong analytical and research skills with the ability to analyze problems logically and methodically and to absorb and synthesize large amounts of information into practical intelligence.
- Ability to independently assess patron needs and to develop responsive solutions.
- Ability to prioritize work, multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work collegially in a fast-paced, intellectually stimulating team environment with a strong commitment to service.
- Expertise in utilizing various legal and business electronic platforms such as LexisNexis, Westlaw, PACER, CCH Cheetah, among others.
- After orientation, exhibit proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Outlook, NetDocs, and other firm applications and software.
- 3-5 years legal research experience / legal knowledge management in a law firm, law school or professional services setting.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MS in Library Science, MS in Information Science, or JD preferred.
Goulston & Storrs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, handicap, disability or veteran status in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. In addition, Goulston & Storrs complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For more information: https://www.goulstonstorrs.com/join-us/apply-open-positions/
State Library of Massachusetts – Head of Reference and Information Service
The State Library of Massachusetts seeks an innovative and collaborative Head of Reference and Information Services to provide leadership and strategic direction for the Reference and information Services Department. Oversee the planning, developing and implementing the departmental goals; manage day to day operation and staff supervision; coordinate outreach initiatives; manage print and digital collections; and lead library-wide projects. Collaborate and partner with area institutions. Participate in the Library management team.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
An ALA-accredited library master’s degree, at least five years of supervisory/administrative experience; knowledge of reference resources in law, government documents, and legislative research; demonstrated understanding of current trends and issues in providing a high caliber of library resources and services; and strong interpersonal skills as well as excellent oral and written communication skills. The Head of Reference and Information Resources reports to the State Librarian.
Provide leadership and strategic direction of the library’s reference and information services department.
Engage staff in collaborative planning and delivery of user-centered services and outreach efforts.
Coordinate initiatives that transform collection strategies to include digital and print resources.
Coordinate the creation, maintenance and management of digital and born digital collections.
Lead initiatives and coordinate library-wide projects.
Participate in a team based environment as required to facilitate improving, evaluating, and promoting overall resources and service initiatives.
Develop metrics for successes and analyze trends to continually evaluate services and their impact.
Formulate, revise, and implement policies, best practices, and procedures necessary to support a wide variety of information delivery services.
Work creatively, collaboratively and effectively to promote a team based environment and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
Assist in the identification and writing of grant proposals to fund new library initiatives.
Work collaboratively with the Library Management Team to implement policies and initiatives; set priorities; and project management.
Perform other related duties as assigned or required to meet library goals and objectives.
Submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Position is open until filled.
Additional Sources for Library Job Postings
Current nationwide listings posted at the American Association of Law Libraries website
An extensive online resource for jobs for information professionals, librarians, knowledge managers and those in related fields
Compiled by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
Compiled by the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
A service of the Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Special Libraries Association’s nationwide listing of library jobs
Posted by the New England Chapter of the Special Libraries Association
Search for library jobs at Boston College
Search the open job opportunities at Boston University
Search for library openings at Harvard Law School
Search for library openings at Northeastern University
Search for library openings at Suffolk University